[AT] County/City Water Connection: What size meter to use?

henry miller hank at millerfarm.com
Wed Jan 2 16:28:30 PST 2013

I would be surprised if you can use enough water that it makes a difference.  You could probably get by with 1/2 in pipe after the meter in a house that small, and not notice.  However if you have a lot of garden to water the bigger line would help.

Still, not running 1" pipe outside is foolish, and I'd probably do 1 inch after the 3/4 meter as well.  Upgrade the meter if there is a problem - but suspect a cheap meter that blocks flow.

Make sure you use full flow valves: a lot of contractors save money on 3/4 valves that only flow 1/2 worth of water.  (My house at twice yours does this which is why I think 1/2 would work)