[AT] old corn planters

jtchall at nc.rr.com jtchall at nc.rr.com
Fri Feb 22 16:27:19 PST 2013

I am looking into planting some corn this year. I’ve got a fellow that can plant it for me, if my fields are ready when he is in the neighborhood with his rig. Ideally, I would rather have my own planter. I prefer a 2 row so it will free up duties on the 2 tractors that I would use with a 4-row. Besides, it would take up much less shed space.

I’ve seen a lot of 2 row Ford 3pt planters (model 309 I think) on Craigslist. The only thing I don’t like is they are a sword type planter instead of disc row openers. I’ve also seen a couple 2 row AC planters that appeared to be tow behind units. Anybody had any experience with these small planters or have one you would recommend? I wouldn’t mind having no-till but those aren’t very cheap.

Thoughts on the matter?

John Hall