[AT] Spam> Re: TO-20 Ferguson & roadranger

Tom tmartin at xtra.co.nz
Sun Feb 10 11:32:28 PST 2013

--- On Sun, 10/2/13, Cecil R Bearden <crbearden at copper.net> wrote:

From: Cecil R Bearden <crbearden at copper.net>
Subject: Re: [AT] Spam> Re:  TO-20 Ferguson & roadranger
To: "Antique tractor email discussion group" <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Date: Sunday, 10, February, 2013, 1:50 PM

Charlie:
I have an 84 Ford L9000 w/ 3406 Cat and 12 spd Spicer.  It tops out at
about 80mph.  I have an 83 LTL9000 w/ 3406 Cat and RT913, it tips out at
62, Downhill, with a tailwind!

  I can start out the Spicer in high range with no problem.  I do not
normally have to use the lower 6 gears.  In fact if I had to have them,
I would be out of luck as the air shifter control valve got some
moisture in it and I have not yet unstuck it.

I have to move the roadranger in one of the lower 6 gears to get it
started Then shift into high range.  I may only have to move 20 ft, but
it has to start out in those lower range gears.

  I started driving  in an old 12 spd spicer that had the 2spd input, 2
spd output, and 3 gears in the middle, behind a 238 v-8 detroit.   I
kept bean cans hung under the airbox oil drains it leaked so much.  It
ran like a bat out of hell though...

I always wanted a roadranger.  I finally got an RTO 9513 in the old 75
chevy firetruck I drove back from NJ a few years back.  I could never
shift it without clashing the gears.  I got the LTL with the roadranger
and still couldn't shift without grinding, later got a FLC 120
Freightliner with a 400 Cummins and a RTO9513, I have no idea what it is
geared at, but it pegs the speedometer and still has more left, but must
start out in the lower range. I guess I just need to stay with the
Spicer Trans, but it is pretty hard to do since Rockwell bought them out.....

All of my Transmissions have PTO's on both sides.  They leak oil, never
had one that did not leak.    I have a mixture of 85/140 and Mystic
Central Lube (00 grease) in them to keep them from leaking out.  Better
a thick grease than none at all....

Cecil in OKla

Hi Cecil
             It appears around here there are Spicer men and RR men both have
difficulty making the transition between breeds. Whereas you've got both! :-(
I find it difficult to understand why you can't get the PTOs oil tight, I've never had a problem. That grease, however, isn't going to make changes easy...

As for the 10 spd RR, I drove one last week after replacing the cab and it changed sweet as a nut. Just to complicate things, that COE gearshift had 21 tierod type
connections in the gear shifter mechanism! True, I counted them!

Tom