[AT] Lost/generators

Andy Glines andyglines at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 22 13:15:16 PST 2013

Here in SW Indiana we also had an ice storm 4-5 years ago that caused a lot of trouble in the region.  I was only without power for 4.5 days but it still got my attention.  During that time the house got down to 47° so I installed a ventless gas fireplace because they will work without electricity.  Mine happens to be a model which will work with natural gas or LP.  Since this fireplace is so efficient it nows does the majority of the heating in my house.  3 years ago I bought a toterhome to pull my steam engines to shows.  I big part of the reason I bought this rig is because it has a 7.5 KW diesel generator that can also be used during power outages.  I can power the house with it or simply move into the RV.  I did hit an unexpected snag.  My Powertech generator has (2) 110V circuits which I thought could be wired up to make 220V.  I have a few 220V appliances but the only one that I NEED is the 220V water well.  Maybe a converter will be the way to go here.  If I'm in a pinch I'll just go to the neighbor with city water and fill the tank on the RV.