[AT] Kenny Farm Auction

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Tue Aug 13 17:04:22 PDT 2013

Dudley,

I was able to get there in time for the tractors sales. The 70D sold for $9,000 plus the
10% = $9900.  That is what I wrote down and I think I am 99% sure I'm right on that. That
price is completely crazy. The 70D  had a bunch of warts such as wrong color green paint,
Electric Start Conversion (the 70D never had Electric Start from the JD factory), no PTO
covers  and either non-painted or Chrome fasteners. This is about $5,000 over real market
value for it ...maybe even more.  No knowledgeable JD collector would ever pay that much
for a JD 70D. Fully correctly restored 720D's and 730 D's can be purchased for less than
that and are much better tractors. The prices on all the tractors were also high IMHO
including the other brands but not as crazy as the 70G. Most everything sold high except
for a few items which I bought.  The JD 40 U  which also had a bunch of warts including
the hood that didn't fit right, two different colors of green, wrong lights, steering
wheel moved 180 Degrees and no three point before the front wheels moved, etc., etc. sold
for $3750 plus 10% which I also thought was high due to a cosmetic restoration only. It
did run good.  I wrote down the prices on all the tractors which when I find time I'm
updating the descriptions of all the pictures I took.   The no name Manure Spreader which
had wood all rotted out on with no wood floor under the chain web sold for $900 plus 10% .
That almost had me go into hallucinations. I wouldn't have paid $50 for it for yard art.

Now I did get three lots:

I bought 70D Pony Motor, plus another MS Carburetor and another set of ignition coils for
the Pony Motor for $75 Plus 10% . The owner told me that he had put #1300 into the motor
and then couldn't get it to run and that is why he switched to the Electric Start.  He
said he was up against a deadline for a show. I find that hard to believe.  But I know I
can get more than my purchase price back hopefully much more.  The second item I bought
was the pristine JD 730 hood for $25 who had bought it as part of a bundled sale with a
gas tank. I wasn't willing to pay for the gas tank to get the hood but he didn't want the
hood so I got it directly from that buyer. Then much to my surprise the buyer of the 40U
wasn't bidding on the three point hitch off of the 40 and I also got it for $75 plus 10%
I expected the 40U buyer to be all over that. I don't think the 40U buyer knew what he had
bought.

So I was quite happy with my purchases but had gone to the auction to buy a tractor if the
prices were reasonable. They were not.

Here are the pictures I took at the auction:

http://public.fotki.com/deanvp/auctions/2013/wa/kenny-farm/

Dean VP
Snohomish, WA

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll never need one
again.