[AT] potato planting

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Wed Apr 17 11:25:16 PDT 2013

On 4/17/2013 9:31 AM, Ron Cook wrote:
> Ralph,
>       Raining here with some sleet and supposed to snow tonight. Western
> Iowa.  Sioux City area.  My potatoes won't get planted until May,
> either, the way it looks.
>       I have always used your method of planting and hilling.
Ron, I have to admit I like the idea of "mulching" between the rows
after reading about it recently. Cover the ground between the rows with
either plastic or chopped straw and it preserves moisture and prevents
weed growth. I do a lot of roto tilling mine before the plants get too
big. Mulching might eliminate that job. And maybe hilling too?
Sunshine and blue sky in Sask. , just not quite warm enough to melt much
snow.

Ralph in Sask.