[AT] list and a Ramble about the change of farming and tractors.

Tyler Juranek tylerpolkaman at gmail.com
Sat Apr 6 18:34:54 PDT 2013

Hi all,
I've been watching this thread with interest, and thought I'd throw my
two cents in.
It seems like in todays society, everything has to be top notch,
technically oriented. I disagree.
In 2000, when I was 4 years old, I got started with computers, and
really got a good grip on them. So for the next ten or so years
afterword, that's all I did. Computers, computers, computers!
So one day, my father brought an H John Deere home and showed me how
to drive it.
>From that time on, I began to appreciate, and still do, the old ways
of things, in this case, farming.
Eventually I was given my Great Grandfather's 36 JD A, and have taken
good care of it ever since.
So after that time I learned to drive the H, I backed off my computer hobby.
Immediately, everybody I knew started crittisizing me for the fact
that I learned to appreciate the ways of life that the generations
before me experienced.
That's all fine and dandy that all the yunger farmers out there love
there GPS systems and all, but at the same time, I think it's
important that we still appreciate the antique machinery sitting in
the barn.
I can't stress that enough!
If you ask me, I don't feel that the 4010's, 4020's, 560's, etc are
antiques yet.
There are a lot of things that you can still do with them.
I'd be anxious to hear what others think about this.
Take Care,
Tyler Juranek
IA

On 4/5/13, Ralph Goff <alfg at sasktel.net> wrote:
> On 4/4/2013 10:34 PM, Cecil R Bearden wrote:
>> Charlie:
>> Here in OK, you would have to be farming 10,000 acres to afford that
>> kind of equipment.  Hay is the best crop in this area.  I am trying to
>> get a GPS guide system that I can use in the nightime or late evening.
>> Foam markers would have to have glow in the dark foam so I could see it
>> in the dark....
>>
>> Cecil in OKla
> Cecil I just have to put in a word here for the Trimble ezee guide. I am
> not a big farmer, or a very progressive one, but I was having major
> problems trying to see the wheel mark from the last pass of my sprayer
> with even a sixty foot boom. With the ezee guide I don't need to see a
> wheel mark. That little seven inch screen on my dash shows me exactly
> what I have covered in yellow and whats left in green. My fields are all
> cut up with sloughs and bushes but no problem. The gps will draw a line
> wherever I drive so that I can follow it on the next round with very
> little overlap or miss.
> I don't know and haven't bothered to figure out how much if any money
> this has saved me in herbicides but I know it has certainly saved my
> sanity because it was really bothering me driving blind and pouring on
> $20 per acre herbicides by mostly guess work.
> I spent right around $3000 for this complete system a few years ago and
> have no regrets. It can be upgraded to auto steer for (quite) a few
> dollars more but I have no need or desire for that.
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP4WEr4N2ag
>
> Ralph in Sask.

Check out my youtube channel, and spread the word!
http://www.youtube.com/tylerthetechy/