[AT] list and a Ramble about the change of farming and tractors.

jtchall at nc.rr.com jtchall at nc.rr.com
Fri Apr 5 03:43:19 PDT 2013

Seeing the need for GPS is pretty easy in my area, affording it is another,
I know some fairly good sized farmers but am not aware of any of them using
GPS yet. It is not at all unusual to have spots in the field that are very
poor producers. It could be blamed on most anything from soil erosion to
changing soil types. I've got one 5 acre field that ranges from good soil,
an area flooded by a spring, another area where the soil is kind of a white
color with some sort of easy to break rock that will hardly even grow weeds,
to an area that holds water yet you can drive through it. It's hard to turn
a profit on that field. When taking soil samples I have sometimes targeted
the larger areas of poor production to see if we could find the answer in
the results. Once I even soil mapped the fields in about 1 acre blocks. The
results were quite a shock as you could see nutrient and lime requirements
change as you went across a field.

John Hall