[AT] list and a Ramble about the change of farming and tractors.

Cecil R Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Thu Apr 4 21:34:06 PDT 2013

Charlie:
Here in OK, you would have to be farming 10,000 acres to afford that
kind of equipment.  Hay is the best crop in this area.  I am trying to
get a GPS guide system that I can use in the nightime or late evening.
Foam markers would have to have glow in the dark foam so I could see it
in the dark....

Cecil in OKla

On 4/4/2013 10:52 PM, charlie hill wrote:
> Cecil,  I wonder if there is an internet forum somewhere or a yahoo group or
> something
> where you might find someone in another area that could help you with that?
> Or maybe on one of the modern farming forums  or surveyors forums, someone
> might have that problem figured out?
>
> As for surveyors.  I can't find one around here that is willing to go back
> and use old
> maps and old landmarks to accurately run out some lines on our farm.  They
> all want to
> work off of someone else's, more recent survey and a couple of the ones
> around the farm
> that I know of are not accurate because of folks cheating on lines and
> surveyors assuming those
> lines are correct (not doing their work).   I took some deed plotting
> software (that I no longer have)
> and aerial photos and old maps and plotted lines on transparency film that
> precisely match
> the old maps up to where my daddy told me our lines were but I can't find a
> surveyor that is
> willing to do the work to figure it all out.  With the equipment that exists
> now and given the fact
> that there are 4 or 5 known control points and lines that match up with the
> old map of our farm and
> 4 other tracts around it, it should be easy.   I could do it in a heartbeat
> if I had modern GPS surveying
> equipment and a surveyors license but I don't.
>
> Back to your need for ag gps.  I know another farmer, who retired last year.
> He farmed about 5,000
> acres of corn, soybeans, potatoes and cabbage. (total acres).  His combines
> and tractors were all gps
> equipped from the early years of AG GPS.   He had yield monitors on his
> combines and at the end of
> the year he could map the yield of his fields in much the same way as you
> would do a TOPO map.
> He would then map his soil samples to match up with the yield maps and his
> fertilizer equipment would
> selectively adjust fertilizer an lime application to correct the issues he
> found on the yield maps.
> I would give anything to have farmed in a time when you could do those
> things.
>
> Charlie

>>> Diesel.   The other was the lack of a cab.  I overheard a lady in her