[AT] Waay OT

Cecil R Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Fri Sep 14 04:49:02 PDT 2012

Charlie:
I agree with you on the mirrors to an extent.  I have replaced my Ford
mirrors with a flat one on the right side, but now, I cannot get that
mirror in the right place when I am towing a trailer.  It is always too
high or low.  This one does not have the electric mirrors.

To me, the one convenience that is the most useful is the electric
mirrors.   They are invaluable when you are towing anything...   I was
at a driver training day for the employees of my agency.   The training
was for the summer kids who worked in the department that pulled boat
trailers to sample lakes in OK.    Since my department had several
trailers they told me I needed training.   When I got to the site, I
found we were supposed to bring a trailer.   The other departments had
brought their boats & trailers.   I had to make a quick trip home and
get one of my trailers.  The only one unloaded was my8.5 x 24ft.  3
axle!!!!   We had to practice backing, stopping, parking, maneuvering,
and all that stuff.  An old Hwy Patrol trooper was running the show.
He made a comment about me being a showoff when I brought the trailer.
our lanes were 10 ft wide, he wanted to make it hard for the boat
trailers.   When we went to backing, I would focus the electric mirrors
on the '02 F250 I pulled with...   I was the old man of the group, as I
had about 35 years on all of them, with 40+ years of hauling...  The
kids set up a howl that I was cheating with the electric mirrors.
Trooper told them "If you got it use it".. I made the best score of
anyone that had taken the training in the last 10 years..   I had to do
the backing exercise again in one of the other trucks and trailers just
to prove to the kids that I could do it without the electric mirrors!!!
They were impressed.

I later was the one who specified the vehicles the agency used. I got a
lot of flack because I would order the fancier trucks because the
convenience package was cheaper that way.  All I wanted was the electric
mirrors and the cargo light.   To get those items on their own would
have cost an additional $500 over what the upgrade cost..    My
reasoning for buying the electric mirrors was that with different
drivers, how many were not so lazy they would just drive off without
being able to see what they were towing.  It was a safety concern, and I
had to write a 2 page dissertation to justify it to the Central affairs
department.

Just another adventure in those 30 years of state service......

Cecil in OKla