[AT] JD A manifold

rdhaskell at juno.com rdhaskell at juno.com
Wed Sep 12 15:45:09 PDT 2012

Hi Tyler.
That price sounds like someone who has never worked on an old JD, of
doesn't want to.  I have a '36 and '37 A, I bet just the gasket is blown
out, possibly some damage to the manifold but not the head.  If you can
get the nuts off the studs and the manifold lifted a little as Ben said,
that is the way to go.  Frequently the nuts are rusted away and are hard
to remove, even the studs can be rusted tight in the manifold.  If the
manifold is not flat, even a large disk or belt sander can flatten it
enough to use.  The high temp silicone is a good idea also.  Good luck,
you should be able to fix it for little more than the cost of a gasket.

Ron Haskell
rdhaskell at juno.com
Riverside, California USA
http://picasaweb.google.com/RonHaskell