[AT] List Members in NE

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Wed Oct 31 12:35:18 PDT 2012

I am located in the northwest corner of NJ, far away from the ocean. We
have been on the tractor + 25KW generator since Monday afternoon, and
there is no indication of when it might come back on.

The phones went out Monday afternoon and just came back on, so at least
I can do Email.

The Farmall 560 has been running fine, and I was able to get 15 more
gallons of diesel fuel Monday evening, but I went out yesterday and
today and not one gas station was operational within 10 miles of here.
Also, the engine is losing oil through the leaking rear main seal, and I
am out of diesel rated engine oil. I tried to siphon fuel out of the
furnace oil tank, but I didn't have any luck. As it is, that tank is
down to about 1/4, so it is probably just as well that I didn't take
more out of it So I decided to pull the 560 off-line and put a gas
tractor on the generator - I do have 20 gallons of gas. I fetched the
International 240U from my neighbor Claire's barn and hooked it up, and
it appears to be doing fine. I am hoping that there will be some gas
stations open tomorrow, assuming power gets restored in the area, even
if we aren't back up. (Part of nearby Hackettstown had power, but not
the part that had any stations that had diesel.) If the 240 poops out, I
also have the Ford 860 on "standby". The Super M hasn't been run in
years, and it is blocked in by the Farmall 340 that has the tank out of
it, waiting for me to clean and seal it. And the Case 430CK has the
generator down at the shop for rebuilding. (I could probably run the
Case without the generator, except that I wouldn't have a fan!)

 From the few minutes of the endless TV coverage that I watched (I guess
there is one good thing about satellite - it never missed a beat), it
looks as if the NY and NJ shore got really hammered - massive
destruction right at the shore line with extensive flooding everywhere else.

Diane just announced that a power company truck just came down the road
slowly with lights flashing, so I am hoping that they are checking for
down wires before restoring power. At least that is my hope...

I had only one tree come down - the top half of a big conifer snapped
off and dropped on to the lawn, but there are LOTS of small branches all
over. In spite of everything, we only got 2" of rain Monday-Tuesday and
no flooding.

I hope all is well with you folks,

Mike