[AT] My Stupid JD A again

jtchall at nc.rr.com jtchall at nc.rr.com
Sun Oct 7 05:07:55 PDT 2012

Tyler, I'm in agreement with the rest, stay off the road until it is fixed.
Even running down the road in high gear will not do very much to remove
carbon deposits. Putting it under a load and drying it out is still not
going to correct the problem.
I'm still contemplating why the plugs are fouling. Right now I would say it
is a possible combination of things. Seeing how the the tractor is hand
start (I think) there is probably no problem with the magneto. If it were
you'd be having a terrible time cranking it. I would make certain the wires
and plugs were in good condition.

My next guess would be carb issues--either out of adjustment or just plain
worn out. That coupled with a manifold leak, assuming it is on the intake,
is going to make things run horrible. Look for a lot of wear on the carb
shafts to see if they are sucking air. Also, you may for a temporary fix be
able to seal the intake manifold by running a bead of silicone around the
outside. It wouldn't be pretty nor a permanent repair, but for less than $10
you could rule out an intake leak assuming you could run a bead around the
entire intake.

As for the difference in sound you are hearing with the petcock open, have
you got someone who would come do a compression test or loan you the tool as
was suggested earlier? That's about a 10 minute test that will tell you a
lot. If both sides read high, your piston rings and valves are in good
shape. If both are low, your engine is worn out. If you have mixed results,
you either have one side with stuck or broken rings, bent or sticking valve
stem, a leaking head gasket, or a crack somewhere in the combustion chamber
(not likely but possible). The only problem I see with this test is if your
tractor uses BIG spark plugs, like W-14 Champions or pipe thread, You may
have to rig up an adaptor to fit the tester. Some of the Deere collectors on
this list should know what plugs yours uses.

Keep us posted, glad to see someone actually working on an antique tractor!

John Hall