[AT] IH Grain Binder

David Bruce davidbruce at yadtel.net
Wed Oct 3 06:10:24 PDT 2012

Charlie,

I don't think I have ever seen any cotton here but apparently at some
point back in time some was grown.
A few years ago before I retired I frequently worked in the area between
Wadesboro, NC and Cheraw, SC. In that area a lot of acreage was in cotton.

Historically this area was heavy in flue cured tobacco.  Two reasons
that I can determine - a significant purchaser of tobacco in R J
Reynolds in Winston-Salem and secondly relatively small acreage would
provide sufficient income for a farm family for the year.  My grandpa
had an allotment of just over 3 acres.  He also grew some corn, soybeans
and sometimes some grain along with a cow, a mule some hogs and a small
Allis Chalmers tractor (in my like a D-14 but previously a CA).  Later
he added a second tractor - first an Allis B, then a little Ford (never
knew which one) followed by a Ferguson TO-30.

As I reached high school graduation it was clear I did not have the base
from which to leap into mode modern farming so with a scholarship in
hand I took the route of college then working in the textile industry.
My cousin who lives about a quarter mile from here tried to farm on the
side but had the same issues.  Eventually, as a condition to getting a
mortgage for his house, he quit any farming.

Today tobacco is still a big crop (maybe half what it was a decade ago)
and the harvesting has been almost totally mechanized - using used
equipment bought from Charlie's area as farming changed there as well.
We also have numerous vineyards and wineries (there are at least 10
within 20 miles of my house) most started with seed money from the
Golden Leaf Foundation (money from the state's settlement with the major
tobacco companies).

David
NW NC