[AT] ATIS members

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Sun Nov 11 06:24:02 PST 2012

Update on the Husqvarna 40 that I referred to below: I spent about 6
hours on it - downloading the manuals, partially disassembling,
cleaning, going through the carburetor, fixing kinked hoses, adjusting
the mixture, etc., etc. (The air cleaner screen was askew, and there was
sawdust in the diaphragm area of the carburetor!) To make a long story
short, it now starts and runs like (almost) new. It needs a new chain -
the teeth look as if the PO ran it into the dirt or found a nail. The
lesson here is that I could not possibly make any money doing that kind
of work for a customer (but I got a very nice saw for the price of a new
chain).

Another story: A local guy who makes his living fixing up high end reel
tape machines for recording studios and universities had a guy come to
him with an antique Ampex portable (from the '60s). The owner said that
he didn't care how much it cost; it was his machine from new, and he
want it to work. The shop put about $400 worth of billable work into it,
but when they called the owner to fetch the machine, it turned out that
he had died! And the heirs were certainly not about to pay $400 for an
antique that is worth maybe $50 on a good day. So there it sits.

So, no matter what the customer says when he brings the machine to you,
if you start in and discover that the repairs are going to run into Big
Bucks, give the guy a call and verify the commitment before investing
your own money into it.

Mike