[AT] OT '68 Dodge truck brake problem

Richard Walker rick427 at roadrunner.com
Wed Nov 7 20:40:26 PST 2012

I'm posting this for a friend who has been having a heck of a
frustrating time trying to troubleshoot a brake problem with his '68
Dodge truck.  Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.  -  Richard

My problem concerns my ancient 1968 Dodge 3/4 ton Pickup. I have owned
this truck for 30+ years and it has never given me a problem I could not
solve, but now I'm out of ideas. Recently (and suddenly) it started
locking up a wheel when the brakes were applied. Visual observation
confirmed that it was the right rear wheel. When I say locks up, that's
exactly what happens. It stops going around right NOW. And leaves a tire
mark on the pavement where it was and there's a smell of burnt rubber in
the air. It should be noted that if the brake pedal is feathered very
lightly, the truck slows down, but even a little normal pedal pressure
causes lock-up. This is such a simple brake system -- no self adjusters,
parking brake fully relaxed. All four drums have been off; no broken
springs or missing attachment parts; the RR wheel cylinder has been
rebuilt (again). Any ideas ?  -  Bernie