[AT] Orchard tractors

Larry Goss rlgoss at insightbb.com
Wed Nov 7 06:48:23 PST 2012

One of the things that puts a monkey wrench in things, Charlie, is that orchards are no longer planted as individual trees that you can drive through in several directions.  Instead, they are planted more like a vineyard with the tees only about 3 feet apart, and with wires strung for the entire length of the row to lend stability to the plants so they can't be blown over.  On high-production farms, much of the work is done "remotely" with high-pressure broadcast sprayers and other machinery that can be powered with ANY tractor.  The need for an orchard tractor simply disappeared.  In a similar manner, tillage techniques have changed dramatically since the Wheatland tractors were popular.  Nobody needs to pull a 20-bottom plow across a field in this day and age.  Soil compaction has become more of an issue than brute force and pulling power.

Larry