[AT] Best of ATIS? ---The D8 story -Karl's last post and his Secret Weapon!

Mark Sargent bucksargent at embarqmail.com
Tue May 8 10:49:00 PDT 2012

Folks,
Before the last post--- a few comments,  I'm glad some folks enjoyed it.
Back in the heyday of the list there were quite a few 'adventure' tractor
stories like Karl's (and Karl had a more of them).   Some of you have
analyzed the decline of the list - I'm not sure if any of the analysis I
read is true.
I kept this thread at the time -because- it was just that good- there were a
couple people on the list that said they were compiling the "Best of ATIS"
threads but nothing ever came of it.    I glad I kept this one for Dad to
read or I wouldn't have it.    Don't know if the Spencer keeps digests in
the archives anymore - but digging posts out now would be chore to skim
through- all of them from the mid to late '90s.    I  was hoping someone
would pull out a post they kept.       At any rate-- my favorite ATIS
posters of all time were :
(my opinion only - you can come up with your own list)

Karl Olmstead-  He did neat stuff and took the time to write about.
George Willer-  He did some great stuff ( like the NFE Cub), wrote well, and
always tried to help with questions-    George was/is a great guy.
Richard Walker-  Early on - he was a reason to tune in to the list.
Bill Hood- Texas guy that just got things done.  He could write, too.
Mike Sloane- he had projects and the time to write-- He was/ also super
helpful.
Cecil Monson- Stories- he had more than a few few good ones!

Don't get me wrong there was a lot of traffic - back in the day and you
could always count on Farmer Robinson, Charlie Hill, Dean Vinson, Dean Van
Perusem, Herb Metz, Bill Strickland, Gene Dotson- to come through with
knowledge or a story every day!
I know I'm leaving a lot of you out-- not on purpose- I'm  just forgetful.
A lot of time the best threads were stories with only a passing reference to
tractors.   Charlie reminisced one time  about Tobacco selling time on
Tobacco road  in its heyday--- made you feel like you were there.  And there
were others.
Most of the time -- with this list - you felt like you got to know folks --
because you would listen to them over a pretty long period of time-- respect
and sometimes friendships -- naturally followed..

There were a few bad apples- (my opinion only) Like Crispens, Walt,  Acton
- but for the most part the core kept right on pluggin.     The digest of
the list used to be a must read for me.  - It was like a good book.

And Karl if you are listening-- Thanks for the stories and the  secret
weapon!

Take care,
Mark

Karl's last post  -