[AT] Winch Cable tensioner

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Sun Jun 24 09:25:31 PDT 2012

Andy Glines wrote:

> I put a 12K electric winch on my steam engine trailer.  When there is
> any slack in the line it developes a terrible birds nest on the drum.
> It is impossible to hook up to the engine without having slack at
> some tiem.  What can I do to keep the cable wrapped tightly on the

Un-spool and re-spool the cable a few times with the cable either on the
ground or on a swivel so the twist come out. This will help, BUT you
still will need to keep tension on it. I made a roller tensioner for the
old wreckers I had. Took a chunk of 1" round bar, mounted a row of steel
conveyor wheels on it and made a simple cantilevered bracket with
springs to hold it tight against the drum. With the wheels tightly
together it also helped keep the cable winding flat. Worked real well

--
Steve W.