[Farmall] 1949 H Exhaust Pipe

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Wed Jun 6 15:55:25 PDT 2012

Harbor Freight sell inexpensive pipe thread sets. I wouldn't use them
professionally, but I am sure they would be adequate for chasing threads
in cast iron. Generally, the old timers would use kerosene for a
lubricant when threading cast iron. Also, with cast iron, you turn a
little and then back off, clearing the chips/crud as you go. So go
slowly. If you know an old time plumber, he *might* be willing to lend
you his tap, but I wouldn't count on it. (I don't think I would, but I
might offer to do the job for little or nothing.) Finding a piece of
black iron pipe the right size and already threaded on one end might be
a challenge, depending on where you live. I have gotten replacements
from Case IH when all else failed.

Before you start, stuff a rag or wad of paper down into the hole to keep
the chips/crud from the rest of the manifold. After you are done, and
the kerosene evaporates, remove the blockage and go in with the skinny
nozzle on the vacuum cleaner hose and suck all the chips that might have
fallen down. It isn't likely that any crap will get into the valves or
combustion chambers, but you should avoid the possibility.

Mike