[AT] Easier to Start?

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Sat Jul 21 18:35:30 PDT 2012

On 7/21/2012 1:54 PM, charlie hill wrote:
> Back in the 70's I had an old GMC cab over road tractor with an 8V71
> detroit.  I was hauling mostly logs with it and occasionally a van load of
> chips or veneer.
> It had a block heater on it that looked just like a water heater element.
> It went directly into the water jacket of the engine block.  At night I
> would plug in the heater,
Charlie, that heater you describe is pretty much basic standard
equipment on most engines in this part of the world. It is the
difference between start and no start in the winter time. Lots of guys
like to brag that their diesels will start in winter without "plugging
in" and I guess they might. But the engine will be a lot happier and
live a longer trouble free life if it is heated up by plugging in, even
for a few hours.

Ralph in Sask.