[AT] Easier to Start?

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Sat Jul 21 12:54:10 PDT 2012

Back in the 70's I had an old GMC cab over road tractor with an 8V71
detroit.  I was hauling mostly logs with it and occasionally a van load of
chips or veneer.
It had a block heater on it that looked just like a water heater element.
It went directly into the water jacket of the engine block.  At night I
would plug in the heater,
hook a trickle charger to the batteries and turn the cab heater fan on low.
It doesn't get that cold here but I've been out  in the morning when the
temps were in the 15 F range.
The cab would be comfortable, probably 55 degs or so and the engine would
fire as soon as I hit the starter button.  That heater was the best trucking
money I ever spent.
Before I bought that truck I was driving a Brockway with a newer and better
8V71 Detroit in it.  The guy I drove for didn't have engine heaters on his
trucks.  I've spent many
an hour at 3 or 4 in the morning, freezing cold, fingers aching from the
cold, trying to get those engines to fire.  Several mornings I just had to
give up and wait for daylight
and help from the mechanic.

Charlie