[AT] OT - Load calculation for barn loft

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Fri Jul 20 17:46:35 PDT 2012

Mike you might be able to find it online.  I don't think the allowable live
floor load is more than about 20 lbs per sf.  on a minimum standard floor.
I may be way off on that.  Sistering another 2 x 8 would certainly help.  A
2x10 would be better if you have room.   However, with all that said, I've
seen some pretty rickety old barns with 80 lb bales of hay stacked 8' high
from corner to corner up stairs.