[AT] Easier to Start?

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Thu Jul 19 19:54:47 PDT 2012

Tyler,

Yes, JD provided rather unique short stubs that would fit into the center of the flywheel
at one end and then the other end was made to allow the steering wheel to be attached so
one could use the steering wheel off the tractor and the little stub to start an electric
start tractor. In the very early electric start tractors, 6 volt batteries were used which
were under rated to begin with and under any kind of adverse condition they would often
fail to perform their starting duties. Battery technology has come a long ways since the
late 30's and early 40's as well. On our farm and I suspect many others an old steering
wheel was semi-permanently attached to these stubs which were unique for the older letter
series and then changed in the late letter series and early numbered series. The early
numbered series were all 12V start tractors and used two 6V batteries wired in series. The
early letter series 6V electric start was very marginal and next to useless when the temps
dropped below zero.  So hand starting and pulling the tractor with anything else that
would start was usually employed. I don't recall starting problems with the early numbered
series, in the early 50's  as long as the batteries were charged. That excludes the
diesels. Block heaters were required for diesels in NW IA where winter time lows often got
into to the -40 degrees F range in the 1940's and 1950's. Block heaters even helped a lot
for the gas tractors but were not utilized much in the early 40's. Maybe it had to do with
the fact that REA (Rural Electrification Association) was in itself quite unreliable in
the winter again in the late 30's early 40's.  I recall reading many a book by Kerosene
lamp for a few years even after we had REA on the farm. It just wasn't reliable the first
few years.

Dean VP
Snohomish, WA

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson