[AT] Easier to Start?

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Thu Jul 19 14:21:23 PDT 2012

The old Farmall tractors don't care whether you use the crank or the
starter motor. And it doesn't matter whether they have electric ignition
or magneto. One advantage of those old Farmall gas engines is that they
were very, very simple - nothing that you wouldn't recognize out of
VoTech text book describing generic 4 cylinder in-line engines. There
was no vacuum advance, nothing sophisticated at all. The smaller
tractors came with a crank that sat in special clips in or on the
operator platform, while the larger machines had other arrangements. The
Cubs, and A/B/C's were very easy to crank, but I have never tried to
crank an M or H. I think those might be more work. Incidentally, when I
needed to turn the engine over on my Ford 2N, I discovered that the
Farmall Cub hand crank fit perfectly. The only "trick", as others have
mentioned, is that you don't just spin the handle around. You engage the
crank in the "down" position, keep your thumb close to your index
finger, and pull up smartly on the handle. Of course, it also requires
that the gas be open, the ignition on, the throttle about half way, and
maybe the choke closed (the first time only). 9 out of 10 times, the
crank is the only way my '48 Cub will start.