[AT] Easier to Start?

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Mon Jul 16 06:24:16 PDT 2012

I am watching this thread with interest. If I may, there is one other
common reason for needing to run with the choke: a vacuum leak between
the carburetor and the head. Even a pinhole in the manifold casting or a
slight leak around one of the gaskets will cause the fuel/air mixture to
be lean and need the choke to compensate by making the mixture leaving
the carburetor richer. I have suggested in previous messages that an
easy way to find a vacuum leak is to use a propane torch. Crack the
valve open but don't light it, then move the head slowly up from the
carburetor to the head and all around the intake manifold while the
engine is idling. If there is a vacuum leak, it will suck the raw
propane into the combustion chambers, and the engine will speed up. You
have to move relatively slowly, as it takes a second for the propane to
be pulled into the combustion chambers, especially at idle speed. (You
don't need to have the valve wide open - it only takes a little propane
to provide the needed indication, and it won't hurt the engine.)

Mike