[AT] antique tractors in the Alabama surf

Will Powell william.neff.powell at comcast.net
Wed Jul 11 04:15:41 PDT 2012

The guy in the white SUV will probably trade it in and the next owners going to be in for a big surprise....

I was in cape cod Massachusetts and my brother-in-law had a wagoneer that had the tide come in on it. 30k miles and it was a rust bucket. If I could get it running he would take me out on the dunes. I was able to get it started but when we pushed on the brakes they went to the floor, the brake lines just broke open. While on the cape in the 80's I saw many truck bodies fabricated out of wood.

Another time I was watching a netting operation on Cape Hatteris. They used a dodge power wagon to pull the net onto the beach. There was not much left of the truck. I can't remember if it was the seat belt anchor that ripped out of the bed or the foot pedal emergency brake... Either way, it was a big chunk of metal. I think it was when he put on his seat belt... Yes, that was it. I remember thinking how useless that belt would have been if he was in a collision.

You see the same thing on plow trucks here on the east coast. Upstate NY is especially tough on vehicles. They don't spare the salt in NY.