[AT] antique tractors in the Alabama surf

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Tue Jul 10 11:18:13 PDT 2012

Yep,  In my case I was not out on the beach playing.  We were working on a
light house on an island only accessible by boat.  We needed a welding
machine out there about 10 miles down the island from the ferry landing.
The only road on the island is a set of ruts in dead sand right down the
middle of the island.  Only a 4wd vehicle with good clearance will make it.
I pulled the welding machine to the light house and headed back but I was
running close on getting back to the ferry on time and it was faster to go
down the beach.  However, I had never run that beach and didn't realize that
there was a spot that was very narrow at high tide.  When I got there I had
to run my right side wheels in very wet sand and sometimes an inch or two of
water as the waves rolled in.

Charlie