[AT] OT: Check the grounds

Roy Morgan k1lky at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 8 21:42:58 PDT 2012

On Jul 6, 2012, at 8:21 AM, Cecil R Bearden wrote:

> Like Farmer Used to say "Check the grounds".

I was asking at the Volvo dealer parts counter about clutch difficulty
when the maintenance super overheard me.  (This was a '69 Volvo.)  I'd
had to re-adjust the clutch three times and was out of travel in the
adjutment: it was a cable operated clutch.  The maintenance guy said
"It's your battery strap."  My baffled look brought further explanation:

When the frame to engine strap is corroded, the starter current goes
through the clutch cable, heating it up and taking the temper out of
the wire.  Then it stretches.  Sure enough, cleaning the strap, and a
new cable  from the battery negative directly to the block instead of
to the frame, and a new clutch cable, and the problem was solved.

The parts guy had started telling me what clutch parts I needed and
the prices.. ugh.

Roy

Roy Morgan
k1lky at earthlink.net