[AT] cold Farmall

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Thu Jan 19 03:44:20 PST 2012

If you can't find 6 volt battery cables, make your own out of electric
welding cable sold by the foot at a welding supply outfit. Prices vary
from $2-4/foot, depending on the gauge, but you probably don't need all
that many feet for a tractor.

As far as starting in cold weather, farmers around here used to drain
the oil and the water out of the the engines at night and bring that and
the battery inside to keep them warm overnight. I also heard stories of
farmers building small fires under the oil pan to warm the engine, but I
am not entirely sure I believe that one - it sounds more than a little
risky to me.

This is dairy and "truck farming" (vegetables) country so there wasn't
much activity requiring tractors during extremely cold weather around here.

Mike