[AT] cold Farmall

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Thu Jan 19 04:28:34 PST 2012

Mike,   In my 20's I worked for a logging company.   In really cold weather
I've seen the log skidder tires freeze into the mud where they were parked
at night.  The standard procedure was to build a fire under the axles
between the tires.  Also,  sometimes there would be a bit of water in the
emergency air tanks on the log trailers.  Typically the truck would start
out ok but the first time out on the road that the brakes were applied that
bit of water would freeze and cause the emergency brake valves on the
trailer to shut the brakes down.   I have actually built a fire out of
newspaper and twigs under the trailer axle right in the middle of  US Hwy
17.  It doesn't take long to heat that valve up and melt the ice thankfully.

Charlie