[Farmall] Farmall Digest, Vol 93, Issue 9

Ben Wagner supera1948 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 06:15:59 PST 2012

If you have good gas, it could be a timing issue.  Your Super A sounds like
it is imitating mine. I tried the engine (C-113) for the first time after a
rebuild, and tried different fixes to determine was was keeping it from
starting nearly every day for a week.  Finally I came down to timing.

A friend who has worked on engines in the past was there on the last day
(and the day I got it started) and helped me out some.  He tested for gas
actually getting to the cylinder by turning the engine over, and dropping a
lighted paper match through the spark plug hole into the cylinder.  You'll
know if it has gas then.

It could be an interior magneto issue.  On a very long and probably
improbably shot, on my Super A I had the little "distributor gear" that
turns the rotor in the mag aligned wrong, but I caught that issue after the
first try of starting the engine.  I'm assuming you have an H-4.  You can
look that gear timing problem up in the "GSS-5035 Service Manual Magneto"
Blue Ribbon book hosted on Rudy's Cub page on Clean Computes.

When you went through the timing process, after you had the #1 cylinder at
TDC, did the magneto impulse click when you turned the magneto to time the
engine?  I had the #1 cylinder timed a little off, since the tractor was
not exactly on the flywheel TDC mark.  If the magneto did not fire when you
turned it, your timing is off.

Once I fixed that, the engine started right up.  I do hope you get yours
running; I know the frustration!

Ben Wagner