[AT] cold Farmall

john hall jtchall at nc.rr.com
Thu Jan 19 18:07:26 PST 2012

Ralph, there is some truth to that. Our Allen magneto tester changes the
RPM's by means of a variable speed. Also the "gap" for measuring spark
strength is adjustable so you can tell  exactly how strong the spark is.
While a mag is on impulse the spark is the same since the mag is turning the
same speed whenever the impulse trips, regardless of engine RPM's. On some
mags if the impulse locks out at a lower RPM than what the mag spins when
the impulse trips, the spark will get weaker. However this is usually a
speed lower than what the engine will run so it is no big deal. Once you get
up to about 1/3-1/2 throttle you don't see any increase in spark strength.
I've observed this  a few times when testing magnetos. This may be in part
due to worn parts in the impulse. I've yet to see one that acts this way
cause any trouble on a engine.

John Hall