[AT] cold Farmall

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Thu Jan 19 10:17:26 PST 2012

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron Cook" <rlcook at longlines.com>
To: "Antique tractor email discussion group" <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2012 8:03 AM
Subject: Re: [AT] cold Farmall

 It cranks okay.  Just has no or practically no
> starting spark.  Myself and others on the list suspect the problem lies
> in the impulse coupling.  This theory was further advanced yesterday
> when the farm's hired hand that did all the grain hauling for the last
> 30 years told me that he always, ALWAYS, jumped the H with the semi to
> start it in the mornings.  Well,  that spins it fast enough that the
> impulse is not even in play.  I said,  " that isn't right".  His reply
> was, "it works".

I remember being told years ago that if you cranked a magneto engine too
fast you actually got a weaker spark as you would over-ride the impulse. The
only mag I have to deal with now is on the old Wisconsin one cyllinder grain
auger engine. And of course the pull start DC4, but thats another story.
Those little spark testers used to be available from Briggs and Stratton and
I have one. Handiest little thing for this problem. Just clip it onto a
spark plug and attach the wire and watch for a spark while you crank the
engine. Its great for me as I have a very low tolerance for electric shocks.
They were'nt all that expensive as I recall.

Ralph in Sask.