[AT] From "Farm Collector" - using copper tubing for fuel lines.

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Wed Feb 29 07:16:17 PST 2012

On 2/29/2012 7:07 AM, charlie hill wrote:
> Steve,  I agree with what you have said unfortunately it is impossible to
> wash away the problem completely.  Once salt gets a hold on steel you get
> what is known as salt chloride contamination which actually gets into the
> steel.  Cleaning the surface as you mentioned and completely sealing it from
> the air with good epoxy paint helps but I don't think the problem can ever
> be solved.   There is a chemical compound that can be used as a rinse after
> the metal is thoroughly cleaned that supposedly neutralizes the salt
> contamination.
I have pretty much admitted defeat against road salt rust on vehicles I
have to drive in the winter. On my old 81 GM I used to spray the
underside as much as I could reach with used oil. Either motor or
hydraulic oil. I would use the cleaning gun on my air compressor to do
this. Its a dirty job and I doubt the oil mist that I breathed in was a
good thing for my health so I haven't tried it recently. I just park the
truck for the winter.

Ralph in Sask.