[AT] From "Farm Collector" - using copper tubing for fuel lines.

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Wed Feb 29 05:07:16 PST 2012

Steve,  I agree with what you have said unfortunately it is impossible to
wash away the problem completely.  Once salt gets a hold on steel you get
what is known as salt chloride contamination which actually gets into the
steel.  Cleaning the surface as you mentioned and completely sealing it from
the air with good epoxy paint helps but I don't think the problem can ever
be solved.   There is a chemical compound that can be used as a rinse after
the metal is thoroughly cleaned that supposedly neutralizes the salt
contamination.  I can't tell you the name of it and I've never personally
used it.  I've seen it referenced in specifications for sandblasting and
painting projects on salt contaminated steel.  A good industrial paint store
would probably know what it is.   By the way,  you can tell if you have salt
chloride contamination because the steel will turn black.  You can sand
blast it to white metal blast and within minutes or a few hours it will turn
black whereas normal steel would remain shiny or start to turn rusty red.
If you can get it cleaned well enough and a good epoxy primer on it before
it turns black you are in pretty good shape.