[AT] chop-saw

jtchall at nc.rr.com jtchall at nc.rr.com
Mon Dec 31 18:49:43 PST 2012

Rob, MUCH harder to buy American than you think. We needed a new grinder at
work to mount deburring wheels on. The boss wouldn't let me spend a fortune
on something made by Baldor so I spent about $300 on a unit from Grainger. I
asked them if it was American made, they said yes, the box had China
plastered all over it.

This year we needed a new set of digital micrometers to keep in the grind
shop. The boss wanted Starrett so they would be American made. After 2
months I had not gotten the set in nor could I find them anywhere in the US.
I called Starrett and found out they were having trouble at their factory in
CHINA and they didn't know when they would be able to deliver them. I
expressed my disgust that such items were made out of the US only to be told
it was OK because they owned the factory. Lets see, they want to manufacture
tools for sale to manufacturing facilities in the US but aren't willing to
make what they sell here. I cancelled the order and then ordered a set of
Mitutoyo mikes for less money, and I had them the next day.

John Hall