[AT] Now Ralph Video -- disc brakes

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Sat Dec 29 13:23:03 PST 2012

On 12/29/2012 10:19 AM, charlie hill wrote:
> Thanks Richard,
>
> As I said, I probably will never try it but if I do I'll have it
> all built out on paper and know what I'm getting into.

On the old self propelled swathers (windrowers), they had planetary
drives, separate to each driving wheel. Controlled by separate steering
levers much like a crawler tractor. Those levers steered by slowing down
or reversing either side drive wheel and when everything worked they
were ok. But most that I used had a weak band brake on the outside of
the planetary that was either too loose to give enough braking power for
reverse, or else they were too tight and dragging all the time making
the planetary drum really hot. I tried to visualize a nice hydraulic
caliper on a disk beside each planetary and how well that might work. I
was sure glad when hydrostatic drive swathers came along shortly ,
eliminating all those mechanical planetary problems.

Ralph in Sask.