[AT] OT Four wheeers

jtchall at nc.rr.com jtchall at nc.rr.com
Tue Dec 11 17:12:47 PST 2012

I bought a Kawasaki Mule 12 years ago. It is perfect for farm use. I have
over 1200 hours on it. I've had to replace the muffler twice and the
starter. For frequently getting off and on, it is a lot easier than a 4
wheeler. I have overloaded it many times hauling rocks out of the fields.
The windshield is nice in cold weather or if you get caught in the rain.
Mine is the smaller size (I assume they still build it) so it did not come
with 4wd, but it does have a differential lock which I have used a few
times. Top speed is about 20mph. There are some side-by-sides that run
40+mph, but to me that is ridiculous, it is an off-road vehicle after all.
If I need that kind of speed I'll just buy a used small 4x4 pickup--for a
lot less money. Another thing I like about it is being able to transport
another person, although sometimes I wish I had one with 2 seats so I could
haul 4 people. When I bought it, the dealer told me it was not meant for
constantly blazing a trail through the woods or slugging through deep
mud-holes. There may be some built now that are. The frame on mine doesn't
have a lot of twist or an overabundance of ground clearance. I have only
swing it once although it has been in the woods several times. Deep snow can
be a problem as well--if the floorboard starts acting as a trowel, you might
want to leave it in the shed. I drop a tractor weight or 2 in the back and
it generally goes really well.

If you look at side by sides, consider leg room and can you enter/exit from
either side. I had a friend that bled John Deere green but bought a Mule for
those 2 reasons over a Gator. I think the new Gators did away with the
center console.

Also, there seems to be a new class of side by side meant for high speed
exploring, not working---be sure to compare apples to apples.

Dad uses a golf cart. As long as you stay on the roads and only need to
carry a couple items it is fine.

John Hall