[AT] MF 2244 crawler with Perkins diesel

Ivan ivancou at windstream.net
Sat Dec 8 18:54:28 PST 2012

   Anybody familar with this crawler with a Perkins AD3.152 engine ?
The history .
  I got this kinda dumped on me to repair . It blew the head gasket and
took the radiator out in the process .  Antifreeze in the oil . The
owner is not sure how long it ran after the gasket went .A now deceased
employee had been using it  out at the junk yard so no way to find out
how long he ran it this way .      His concern is to save it or scrap it
,only paid $ 3000 for it .      Also having issues with rh turning  ,,
sooo  . Could this just be a adjustment ?
  The liner on # 3 is .006 below the deck ,  which is .002 out of spec .
Showing some signs of burning on top of it . Head also shows some burn
marks where the metal ring was supposed to seal the cylinder .  No idea
of what shape the bottom end is like .
  # 1
    Do I slap it together with a new gasket ,change oil and fix the rad
with the hope ( awfull big)  that it might hold for maybe 10 - 20 hours .
# 2 Or , drop the pan ,pull # 3 sleeve and shim it up to bring into spec
.  Then do the head gasket and pray  .
  How are these sleeves sealed ,  o ring or gasket ? Is it possible to
pull the sleeve and put it back in with the same seals?
   # 3   The owner is thinking about selling it for scrap , which is
probably the best option since he doesnt want to do a full tear down .
He kinda cringed when I said gaskets , new bearings (rod +main ) .  I
think if he doesnt go this far its not worth putting back together  .
And with the gaskets running $ 100 just for the head , the junk man is
the best option in my book .  How forgiving are these engines ?
  But I said I'd ask ,as this is the first diesel that I've torn apart .
SO a lot of learning going on on my part . Ivan