[AT] OT '68 Dodge truck brake problem (update - solved)

Richard Walker rick427 at roadrunner.com
Wed Dec 5 23:33:22 PST 2012

My friend Bernie finally solved his '68 Dodge truck brake problem, after
he, I, and a few other friends spent many hours thrashing on it.  Thanks
for all your prior responses and suggestions.  After eliminating the
obvious, we finally had no recourse but to methodically replace or swap
out everything in the system, one by one, regardless of whether we
thought it was a problem.  Today it was nailed.  Here is his e-mail to
me.  -  Richard

***********************************

Friends:
So many of you, and others I do not know, have weighed in on this
problem that I felt that now that is (hopefully) solved, you all should
have an update.

The Back Story:
This may seem like too much information for some (although
reading some of the posts, it appears that some actually like TMI).
Back around 2005 my old 68 Dodge D200 was unused most of the
time. It was on its second engine (a 440 conversion), leaking front
brakes and an exhaust system that drew the attention of the
Highway Patrol every time I used it. But I still needed a truck once in
a while so I put it up on jack stands and before I got done I had
rebuilt the drive shaft, exhault system, and brakes all around
including front brake hoses, and the master cylinder. Thus
reinvigorated, the truck served me well until August 2012.

The Lockup Problem Begins:
Coming back to my shop along dry surface streets, a routine
application of the brakes at around 40 mph unexpectedly found me
skidding, and not in a staight line, before I knew what was
happening. The traffic pulled away and I found that any meaningful
application of the brake pedal seemed to cause lockup.

Diagnosis:
Fast forward into September. Now came about three months of
friends viewing and confirming the lockup, and various suggestions
for a cure. Each potential fix was conducted as a stand alone repair
so we'd know when we had made a difference. I think at this point I
could pull those full floating drums off in my sleep. None of the
following did the trick.

1-	the problem is with axle bearings (2 were defective)
2-	there is brake fluid or axle grease on the linings.
3-	the wheel cylinders (or one) are frozen
4-	the brake hose is collapsed inside inhibiting flow
5-	check for metal to metal binding up
6-	oval shaped spring on handbrake actuator broken
7-	handbrake adjustment too tight; brake partially on
8- 	worn out brake springs (replaced in 2005)
9-	drums out of round (switched side for side)

And So It Went:
All the above were checked, more little things addressed, still no
joy. Remembering that the problem came on Suddenly after years of
service made it all the more mysterious. Back in 2005 when I
replaced the shoes all around, I found a guy advertising in
Hemmings who still had Real brake linings for this truck model
made before 1968. You could not buy these in California. These
shoes, installed on my truck, made it stop like it had not in years.
Well the rears had not needed changing at that time, but I put them
on anyway. What IF ? I still had the old (not worn out) shoes on the
shelf so I put them on the offending wheel. And it was all kittens and
rose petals when I the truck for a test drive. By way of explanation I
can only offer that the linings put on the truck in 2005 were very
aggessive. Why they waited until 2012 to cause a problem, I can't
say. But for now, I have a truck again.

Thanks to everyone who weighed in with a suggestion.