[Farmall] Bendix Spring on 1948 Model Farmall Cub

Milo milo at milosmachineshed.com
Mon Dec 3 17:45:14 PST 2012

On 12/3/2012 7:44 PM, Roger Moffat wrote:
> Hi List
>
> Are we all still here?
>
> Today I broke the bendix spring on the starter on my Farmall Cub :-(
>
> It is I think a 1948 model - originally 6 volts, but it's been 12 volts since I got it from my father in law 15 years ago, and I think a lot longer before that. No doubt that hasn't helped the spring :-(
>
> This page
>
> http://www.antiquetractorsrus.com/internationatractorparts/startersdrives/Internationalstarterdrivesparts2.html
>
> shows 2 different springs, but in terms of a photo, neither of them looks like what I have. From the description I should need 222-01012 but the winding and loops on that photo are incorrect.
>
> I also found the whole assembly listed at Steiner Parts for $41.
>
> http://www.steinertractor.com/ABC547-starter-drive-bendix-original-spring-style
>
> I see complete assemblies on Ebay in the $30 upwards range.
>
> Any comments on success/reliability of either just the springs or the complete assemblies from various sources?
>
> Thanks!!
>
> Roger
>

> -----

I recently purchased a complete drive unit (for a 420 JD Crawler,
Delco-Remy starter, so it's probably same as yours)
EBAY $25.00+shipping. Unit was a re-manned ACE brand. working just fine.
Also running 12V to the old 6V starter motor for the last 30 years or so.
Biggest difference I know of is the *right or left* wound spring.

--
Peace
Milo