[Farmall] 340 Utility hydraulics

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Mon Aug 27 09:35:40 PDT 2012

Stan and Jim are both correct, and I was wrong. The 240 uses the torque
tube for a reservoir for the Hy-Tran and retains the use of thick
"transmission fluid" in the transmission and final drive. The 340,
however, does use the transmission and final drive for the hydraulic
reservoir. The 340 is an "odd" tractor in the number series, as it has
nothing in common with the 300/350 (except for possibly the 5 speed
transmission and TA?). All of the service manuals I have for the 340
make it appear to be unique. It also uses odd size 36" tires and rims,
among other things that make it different. In many ways it is a "modern"
tractor with independent PTO, live hydraulics, full instrumentation,
optional three point hitch with draft control, optional power steering,
etc. Not too shabby for a late '50's tractor.

But it still had the old updraft carburetor and a six volt electrical
system - an hangover from the '40s.

Mike