[AT] AT Digest, Vol 102, Issue 11

John Slavin jslavin at marktwain.net
Tue Aug 14 09:27:18 PDT 2012

It's for the crop insurance adjuster.  If the corn is not going to produce a corn crop, the farmer may decide to chop the corn for silage while it's still somewhat green and use it for livestock feed.  But the crop insurance adjuster will want something to test in order to see what the yield is and therefore determine the amount of the loss.  So, the farmer leaves a few rows, the adjuster comes in at normal harvest time and measures the yield in order to determine how much to pay the farmer.  As for the middle of the field, it just so that what's left is representative, not effected by trees along the edge of the field, trampled down turn rows, etc.

John Slavin