[AT] Okla Fires

Cecil R Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Sun Aug 5 03:46:48 PDT 2012

I'm here in central OK near Piedmont. A lot of this could have been
prevented if folks would clear out those Red Cedar trees that have
invaded over the past 20 years. I worked on a survey of a Rural Water
District in '08 on a lot of land that was owned by OK State Univ near
Stillwater.   They had not taken care of this land at all, it had Cedar
trees over a foot in diameter probably 100 per acre average, and
thistles that were higher than my head.   Both of these are invasive
species and listed as a Noxious weed in OK.   These fires will take care
of most of the Cedars that are existing.  Now, we need to prevent any
more from starting back up and remove the ones that are here.  I feel
truly sorry for anyone who has had to suffer the loss of their home.
However, I see the same disaster being planned every day with people
moving trailers, double wides, or building houses in the middle of Cedar
trees.   The Shade trees do not go up in flames in 15 seconds  like
those Cedars.  We are in a drought, there is a lot of land that would
have provided hay for feed, but the Cedars have rendered it useless.
Much of this is from land speculation and Hunting leases...   It is time
to return the land back to prairie instead of forest!!!   This will
happen again in the near future, the memory of these losses will pass
and they will build under the shade of a Cedar again.

I need to mow some pasture that is a foot or so high to prevent a
fire.   Most of the pasture around me is less than 6 inches since we
mowed and baled it earlier.

Cecil in OKla