[AT] Problem with the Case 430CK generator

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Fri Apr 20 12:30:19 PDT 2012

Mike Sloane wrote:
> The Prestolite 12 volt generator on the Case 430CK (gas) tractor stopped
> making electricity, so I took it down to the local auto electric place.
> He told me today (and showed me) that the field coils are open, and he
> is unable to locate replacements.
>
> Normally I would say "the heck with the generator" and install a
> rebuilt/junkyard GM one-wire alternator. There are two problems with
> that approach: 1. the mechanical tachometer is driven from a gearbox on
> the back of the generator, and 2. Case used an oddball mounting for the
> generator that will make mounting an alternator a little tricky. (The
> cast generator bracket bolts to the top of the hydraulic pump body!) The
> guy at the shop *thought* that he remembered that GM made an alternator
> with a tach drive on the back, but he called around and couldn't find
> one. I can live without the mechanical tach, if that is the only
> alternative.
>
> So my question is: does anybody have any suggestions? A Google search
> turned up nothing useful, and the tractor is needed for moving some
> large hunks of tree that I had cut down last week.
> <http://public.fotki.com/mikesloane/ole-maple-tree-down/>
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike

http://www.waltstractors.com/acatalog/copy_of_Rebuilt_Generators.html

Or have the fields rewound. They are not that hard to do. You just
measure the wire diameter, remove the old wire and measure how much you
removed. Then wind on new wire, then dunk the entire thing in epoxy (or
you can brush it on) then reinstall.

--
Steve W.