[AT] Chain saw sharpening

Spencer Yost yostsw at atis.net
Sun Apr 1 04:46:42 PDT 2012

I used to work for the forest service (as a teenager) and our work leaders were yoga masters in sharpening.  But alas, I was a teenager and didn't pay close attention.   I fortunately married a woman whose father was good at sharpening too.

Between the time of the yoga masters and father-in-law I was inept at sharpening and tried every gadget and device under the sun.  Bottom line is if you can't sharpen with just a file, You can't sharpen with this year's super gadget", dremel, guide,etc.

Here is what i finally learned from them:  Great sharpening is all frequency and consistency.  Those are learned through practice and patience.

I used to stink at this because I have alway stunk at things that can't be a acquired without cleverness, brute strength and speed.   Marriage and chain sharpening taught me to appreciate the role of zen in my life.

I swear:  You don't need a guide or electricity.   I don't use a handle either because I like to feel how the file is cutting.

Like the others mentioned too:  Do it  every tank of fuel.

As was also mentioned before; Don't sharpen a damaged chain though.  Give that to a professional (or just buy a new one as I do).

Hope this helps,

Spencer

Sent from my iPhone