[AT] California Combine history was Saskatchewan

Al Jones farmallsupera at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 4 16:25:06 PDT 2011

I am fascinated by combines.  The pictures of the giants from the 1800's and early 1900's pulled by dozens of horses, are a sight to see!

I have two IH pull types, 52R's.  The earlier one is a sacker with a Continental Y69 engine, the later one is a bagger with a Farmall Cub engine.  I need to find a good home for the sacker.  My "dream" is to have a nice 70's model Massey Ferguson 300 from out of the mid-west in my collection, and maybe even 25 acres of my own to run through it!  This was my dad's first combine he bought used in the late 70's. I was a LITTLE kid but I can remember how B-I-G it looked!  Rode over a lot of acres in the cab with my grandaddy, I heard him say that he never expected to be a "big enough farmer" to operate a combine.  Back then a Deere 4400 was a big combine here, Massey 510 was MASSIVE.  The 300 ended up catching fire and burning up, it was replaced by a later, diesel 300 with quick-attach headers. It was worn out when it left us.

Al