[AT] Harvesting in Sask.

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Tue Oct 4 06:39:35 PDT 2011

On 10/4/2011 6:58 AM, Gene's Wowway e-mail wrote:
> Why would they set this up as a PTO machine?  Back in "my day" even many
> small 6-7 foot combines were run by a Wisconsin or whatever.  Is it simply
> because larger tractors that can handle the PTO&  pulling chores available?
> I remember my granddad 'graduating' from a 5 ft Oliver combine to a 6 ft
> IH - How puny by today's standards!!!  They were both PTO, pulled by
> (initially) an old JD unstyled G and later, in the more modern age, a 1954
> M.
>
> GeneW

Mainly for economy in my opinion. You could buy a pto combine far
cheaper than a self propelled since there is no drive train cost.
Getting more work out of your big farm tractor was a plus too.
Farming practices changed and the big pull types are not produced anymore.
A few survivors out there will still do a good job for those that want
them.
My Dad's first combine was a Case Model A with Wisconsin engine drive
cutting 6 feet. In later years I drove a much bigger Case model 460 pull
type combine so there is a quite a history of pull types on this farm.
http://hotimg23.fotki.com/a/142_165/85_243/2090460-vi.jpg

Ralph in Sask.