[Farmall] Farmall H Tire Width

szabelsk at gdls.com szabelsk at gdls.com
Tue Oct 4 04:00:00 PDT 2011

Jerry,

I have an H that I use for plowing snow and use a 7 ft blade with it.
Don't know what the tire setting is since they were set when I got the
tractor and I haven't tried to move them in or out. From my recollection
they are just as wide as the blade when it's angled..  I picked up a used
loader for the H about a year ago and just used the bucket for moving the
snow out of the way the first year. Worked OK except it took longer than I
wanted. The next spring I picked up a used rear mounted snow blade without
the necessary 3pt hardware to mount it. Didn't have a 3pt on the tractor
to start with, even though I 'd picked up a used one at the same time I
picked up the snow blade.

I'd heard about the neck issues with plowing backwards so I wasn't too
keen on mounting the blade on the rear. What I did was weld on some 1-1/2
steel tube to the blade frame so that it was the same width as the loader
bucket. Added some extra pieces to provide clamping to the loader arms and
away I went. Used it last year and it worked fine. I didn't attach the
extension to the blade since the snow wasn't too deep each time I needed
to plow.

I have filled tires and a set of rear tire weights. I also have tire
chains which make a big difference once the snow starts to pack and get
icy, especially when I'm on the dirt road in front of the house.The H has
more power than necessary for a 7 ft blade.  I used to use my Cub with
it's little blade and it did a pretty good job, just took a little longer.

When you plow snow, make the path as wide as possible, at least two times
as wide. Subsequent plowings will be easier and you won't have to take
time to push mounds out of the way to make room for the next batch of
snow. I actually don't have that problem with my setup since I can raise
the blade high enough to knock down some pretty high mounds.

Carl Szabelski

Jerry Bossard <jerry.bossard at gmail.com>
Sent by: farmall-bounces at lists.antique-tractor.com
10/03/2011 05:05 PM
Please respond to
Farmall/IHC mailing list <farmall at lists.antique-tractor.com>

farmall at lists.antique-tractor.com
cc

Subject
[Farmall] Farmall H Tire Width

Can someone tell me what is best tire width for traction for moving snow
with 3 point?  Would it be best to move tires in or out or leave them in
the
middle somewhere?  Just working to try and get things ready for the
winter.
 This will be my first winter with the Farmall H for moving snow.  I
intend
to use a rear mounted blade on the 3 point, but not sure what footage to
buy
(6', 7' or 8') as I have reservations about how much blade is too much
blade
for moving snow and getting stuck.  ;-)

Thanks,

Jerry Bossard